Monday, August 18, 2008

Hurricane Fay......Yeah!

Well, it appears that I am, once again, in the direct path of yet another flippin' hurricane. I am a 'Florida Cracker', but the last 10 years have been ridiculous.

In 2004, we had the string of hurricanes that followed each other like a marching band, right through my neck of the woods. So much so, that my then, 3 year old son could have replaced any well known Weatherman due to his extensive knowledge of the hurricane season and inner workings. Worst part of 2004, for me, was the fact that I was a week past my due date for the arrival of my daughter. Husband & I packed up and headed for my parents house, since they don't have many trees around the house like we do. Once the storm came-a-knockin' we lost power ....damn!

So, for about a week we didn't have electricity which is aggrevating by itself but, coupled with being 41 weeks pregnant with my second child, topped with choosing to sleep on the back porch on an air mattress to avoid sweating like a pig, quadrupled by the most intensivied urges for a hot meal and a warm bath......we waited.....& it was hell I tell you. On the 9th of Sept., in true diva form, my daughter decided to make her grand entrance into this world about an hour after the power was restored at the house, which put me at 42 weeks pregnant.....DIVA, pure DIVA!

So, in light of Hurricane Fay, I have a few things to be thankful for this go-around, and I would like to memorex them in all of my blog-glory (just in case):

I am THANKFUL for the fact that I am not expecting nor am I anywhere close...

I am THANKFUL for the generator that my father bought after the Hurricanes of 2004, in which will be put to good use (hopefully no need) sometime this week...

I am THANKFUL for the opportunity to watch my little cousin, Travis Clark, rise to fame in the music world & to actually get to watch he & his band, We the Kings, perform numerous times on MTV. I knew there had to be one lucky S.O.B in the family to make it rich....

I am THANKFUL for having the opportunity to experience a day when both children would be in school at the same time, to spend the day in silence.....(today was my day!) for those of you who are at home moms, it IS wonderful & your day is coming too...

I am THANKFUL for the opportunity to see my husband work his ass of at his job, come home and work his ass off with the house & kids due to an auto accident I had at the beginning of July (see Q-tip post), which has left me with Dr. restrictions and way too many appointments...

So, this might be my last post for a little while, ah...maybe I'll think of something else a little later. For those of you who do not live in Florida, or a state that experiences them frequently, think of us this week as you cook a hot meal in your air conditioned homes, while listening to the TV/radio, all the while pointing and stating what a bunch of idiots we are to live here in the first place..........please do, because we will be (not so kindly) thinking about you!

1 comment:

Lisa's Dessert Tables said...

I am not alone! Also in South Florida, Fay was actually amusing if you ask me. But, yes I too have been here a long time and am grateful for all those things you area and then some. And I will be much more thankful when Wednesday arrives and school is back in...