Monday, August 11, 2008

Ultimate Fighter.......Brock Lesnar??


Okay......
First I have to admit to the public that yes, I used to watch WWE every week, and yes I am familiar with Brock Lesnar, and yes I do think he is a monster of a man, and yes, I did wonder what someone would look like after a Brock Bash to the face..... There, I have confessed.
BUT (that word should be bigger), I am now wondering if Brock fighting in MMA with UFC is just a mockery to the sport. Let me explain my theory......
Let's look first at the definition of MMA:
MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. Now the question is what is Mixed Martial Arts? Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is a full-combat sport that combines elements of boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, jujitsu and other disciplines.
I know that Brock Lesnar has an impressive background in wrestling, and just due to the mere size of the man we can assume that his punch is hard. I know that he has only had 2 televised fights to speak of, but I have to admit my disappointment.
Brock Lesnar made a name for himself in the WWE. Once that got old for him, he quit and decided to play football, well, I can only guess that he got bored with 'ball' too, and now he decided to bully his way up the MMA charts. Officials stated that he has been training for 6 months since his fight/loss with Frank Mir, and in my belief of what was stated, I expected to see a new and improved Brock Lesnar. But I didn't get that......
Here is a man that out weights, overpowers and is quick for his size storming into the octagon. He is able to trick Herring and lands a great punch to the eye of his opponent. Great! A very promising start! But that was it. Brock Lesnar learned nothing of the MMA sport and in my opinion he didn't study up on his college wrestling techniques either.
One great lucky punch to an eyeball.
Sure he dominated Herring in the octagon but even with all of that control over his opponent, he didn't actually DO anything, besides lay on the guy and strong arm him. What took 6 months to learn?? Why didn't he get his hooks in while he had Herring's back? Why didn't he try to get an arm-bar? Was Lesnar really afraid that Herring had superpowers and that Herring would end up overpowering him if he tried to do anything remotely linked to skill?
I didn't care too much for his attitude after the fight ended. Jumping around and gesturing to the crowd like he actually DID something. To me the fight was no more that watching a cat bat a mouse around.....
My opinion of Brock's MMA career is that he knows his strength and size work for him. His ego matches his physical size, and let's face it, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. He will never acquire actual MA techniques other than getting someones back. His upper body strength is so massive that no opponent will even think about getting involved with arm-bars or choke holds. Mir showed the world where the Giant's weakness was.........his legs. There are few if any in the UFC that are 'big' enough to take him. Capability, yes, there are plenty that could teach Brock a lesson or two, but lack of size will be a hindrance.
I feel that the signing of Lesnar was a slap in the face to guys out there that have an actual love for the sport. You know, the guy who's been training for 10 years to make it big in the MMA world.
A hard slap in the face, by a BIG GUY with no skills, who got his ass kissed by the likes of Dana White and others that are into the finances. They now he is a big name and will draw crowds & pay-per-view revenue. But I think that the fans will have their fill early in Brock's career and get tired of him too. Hell, if Kimbo isn't a worthy MMA fighter, then how does Brock fit into the picture??
I'm off my soapbox now, thank you.

No comments: